Tuesday’s agenda: We’re focusing more on design. Read the materials in the Web design basics folder before the start of class.
Due Tuesday: Blog post 8, which is a content analysis of three websites you like (based on their design & content). For your content analysis, choose:
- 1 digital portfolio of someone working in your field (not one already used in class as an example)
- 1 nontraditional news site
- 1 site with content you like (examples for me include Understanding Race, Nieman Journalism Lab, and Products of Slavery)
Include in your analysis:
- Description of each website
- Description of info on each page (keywords, topics) on the websites
- Notes on the content of each page on the websites
- Description of the overall design of each website (what makes it appealing, effective, etc.?)
- Notes on the font(s) and color(s) used on each page (readability, fit with design)
- Description of video/photo/visuals/music on each page (how do they enhance the design & content?)
Your blog post should:
- Be at least 300 words
- Be organized well (bulletpoints, headings, etc.)
- Include links to each website
- Use a headline that entices people to read your analysis
For Thursday: University holiday — no class!
For next Tuesday (April 22): Premiere party — Project 2
Due next Tuesday: Project 2 should be complete & posted to your blog. Don’t forget to tweet a link to it as well!
Next Thursday (April 24): Revise Project 1 to earn up to 5 points back. Replace “old” version with corrected version on your blog & return my edits sheet in class. Raw materials for your digital portfolios are due & should be brought to class in electronic formats.