Thursday’s agenda: We’re starting our last “segment” of the semester: Websites! You’ll sketch out a rough draft of what you want to include in your digital portfolio and how it might be arranged. Bring a pencil and paper!
Due Thursday: Read the materials in the blog folder Content-driven websites. Also, your raw material for Project 2 is due.
For Tuesday: More website material. This time, we’re focusing more on design. Read the materials in the Web design basics folder before the start of class.
Due Tuesday: Blog post 8, which is a content analysis of three websites you like (based on their design & content). For your content analysis, choose:
- 1 digital portfolio of someone working in your field (not one already used in class as an example)
- 1 nontraditional news site
- 1 site with content you like (examples for me include Understanding Race, Nieman Journalism Lab, and Products of Slavery)
Include in your analysis:
- Description of each website
- Description of info on each page (keywords, topics) on the websites
- Notes on the content of each page on the websites
- Description of the overall design of each website (what makes it appealing, effective, etc.?)
- Notes on the font(s) and color(s) used on each page (readability, fit with design)
- Description of video/photo/visuals/music on each page (how do they enhance the design & content?)
Your blog post should:
- Be at least 300 words
- Be organized well (bulletpoints, headings, etc.)
- Include links to each website
- Use a headline that entices people to read your analysis