Today’s agenda: We’ll have a guest speaker via Skype. Amy Zerba, who has worked at the Austin American-Statesman and CNN online and now works at the New York Times, is joining us to talk about journalism, technology, and starting your careers.
Due Thursday: Read/watch the materials below so you’ll be familiar with Amy’s work. You need to tweet at least one question to her by the start of class and use #mpj2014
Also due Thursday: Three story ideas for Project 2. Yes, it’s time to start thinking about Project 2 already! (Project 2 is due April 22.) Email me your story ideas or share via Google doc.
- Project 2 must use two platforms, and one of those platforms must be different from what you’re using in Project 1. (Example: If you’re doing online video + online writing for Project 1, your Project 2 can’t use both of those. You can, however, use one of them; it would be OK to use online writing + photos for Project 2.)
Format for story ideas
What: in two sentences, explain the central focus of your story. If it’s an event, when is it? (Project 1 is due April 1)
How: which two formats (online writing, photo, etc.) will you use and why are those the best ways to tell this story?
Sources (must have three)
- Name & title: Must have named sources (not “a student”)
- Contact info: How will you contact this person?
- Contribution: in 1-2 sentences, explain what information you expect this person to contribute to your story
- Five questions: List 5 questions you will ask this person to get the info you need for this story
Visuals: in 3-4 sentences explain what type of visuals you will use and how they will help illustrate the story
For Tuesday: Work day/editing Project 1. We’ll use class time to begin editing/writing your materials for Project 1.
Due Tuesday: Raw materials for Project 1 AND Story plan for Project 2. (Use templates for story plans that we went over with Project 1. They are posted on Blackboard.)