Today’s class: You should watch/read the materials in the Online news packages folder before class. We’ll discuss them in class, along with your story ideas for Project 1.
Due Tuesday: Three story ideas for Project 1. Email them to me or share via Google doc by the start of class.
Format for story ideas
What: in two sentences, explain the central focus of your story. If it’s an event, when is it? (Project 1 is due April 1)
How: which two formats (online writing, photo, etc.) will you use and why are those the best ways to tell this story?
Sources (must have three)
- Name & title: Must have named sources (not “a student”)
- Contact info: How will you contact this person?
- Contribution: in 1-2 sentences, explain what information you expect this person to contribute to your story
- Five questions: List 5 questions you will ask this person to get the info you need for this story
Visuals: in 3-4 sentences explain what type of visuals you will use and how they will help illustrate the story
Side note: Considering shooting a broadcast/online story with a tablet or smartphone? Read these tips first.
For Thursday: We’ll work on your video-shooting skills with an in-class assignment. You’re going to be on camera, so dress accordingly. We’ll also talk about your plans for Project 1.
Due Thursday: Story plan for Project 1 is due via email or shared Google doc. You must use the format we go over in class Tuesday. Templates are posted on Blackboard.
- Reminder: If you’re producing an online video package, heed these wise words: