Today’s agenda: We’ll meet in our classroom & then head to the studio for a brief training session led by Chris Lepp. After the training, we’ll go back to the classroom & go over some options/examples of class projects.
- Reminder: this training is required in order to use the studio this semester, which all of you will need to do when you film interviews for your projects.
- Using the studio: You can reserve the studio for one-hour blocks on Friday afternoons, generally starting at 3:30 p.m. You have to email Chris Lepp (email@example.com) to reserve the studio.
For Tuesday: Watch/read the materials in the Online news packages folder. We’ll discuss them in class, along with your story ideas for Project 1.
Due Tuesday: Three story ideas for Project 1. Email them to me or share via Google doc by the start of class.
Format for story ideas
What: in two sentences, explain the central focus of your story. If it’s an event, when is it? (Project 1 is due April 1)
How: which two formats (online writing, photo, etc.) will you use and why are those the best ways to tell this story?
Sources (must have three)
- Name & title: Must have named sources (not “a student”)
- Contact info: How will you contact this person?
- Contribution: in 1-2 sentences, explain what information you expect this person to contribute to your story
- Five questions: List 5 questions you will ask this person to get the info you need for this story
Visuals: in 3-4 sentences explain what type of visuals you will use and how they will help illustrate the story
Side note: Considering shooting a broadcast/online story with a tablet or smartphone? Read these tips first.