Professional networking can play a key role in landing your first job out of college, so come to an event that will help you meet STL communication professionals AND earn you some extra credit!
Members of the department’s Advisory Board will be in Xavier Hall 332 for a Q&A with communication students from noon-1:30 p.m. Wednesday. After the Q&A, the board members will be available for individual/small group chats. Come learn about their respective industries and meet working professionals, many of whom are SLU alumni!
- Networking event: Noon-1:30 p.m. Wednesday (Feb. 12) in X332
Board members are from a range of communication industries including:
- Public relations
- Media relations
- Public policy
- Television & film production
- Market research
- Training & development
Extra credit option 1: Take a pic & tweet it (up to 3 pts)
- Take a photo at the end AND tweet a bit of advice you learned at the networking event
- Use @SLUcomm and identify people in the pic with their Twitter handle (if they have one)
- Due by 5 p.m. Wednesday
Extra credit option 2: Write a blog post NEWS STORY summarizing the event (up to 10 pts)
- Write a news story that summarizes the most interesting things the audience learned at the event in at least 250 words
- This is a news story, so do not write in first person
- Start with an interesting lead — an interesting lead is NOT “The Communication Department hosted a networking event Wednesday”
- Similarly, write an interesting headline. What will make people want to read it?
- Use complete sentences & correct grammar
- Quote at least one of the speakers AND one attendee — make sure you spell their names correctly!
- Include at least one link in your post to something relevant
- Tweet a link to your blog post with an interesting description that will make people want to click on the link to read your blog post. Use @SLUcomm in your tweet.
- Due by 8 a.m. Monday
You can do both options!